The Carolina Hurricanes will host their home opener on Friday night, October 7, 2005, kicking-off their first season in two years. To celebrate the NHL comeback, WRAL will air a half-hour special at on Thursday, October 6th at 7pm the night before the big game.
WRAL-TV Sports Anchor Tom Suiter will host “Canes’ Comeback,” with Sports Anchor/Reporter Jeff Gravley and Anchor Debra Morgan. Together they’ll bring live reports from the RBC Center, home of the Carolina Hurricanes.
Some of the stories WRAL is working on for the special for the Canes Home Opener Special are:
- Outline of the team’s new look – who’s gone, who’s arrived.
- How hockey has changed since the lockout (new rules and such).
- A sit down with Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette as he starts his first full season on the bench.
- What hockey’s return means to the RBC Center and surrounding community.
- What the team is doing to win fans back
Hockey analyst John Forslund will join Suiter on the set to talk about the upcoming season.
“The overall goal is to get people excited about the return of Hurricanes hockey,” said WRAL-TV Producer Kyle Hughes. “A whole lot has changed since the team last took the ice, and Canes’ Comeback is a simple way for fans to get back up to speed.”
Thanks to WRAL-TV’s Leesa Moore Craigie for this capcom story.