Bulls To Look “Pretty in Pink” for Breast Cancer Awareness

Durham Bulls logo Bulls To Look “Pretty in Pink” for Breast Cancer Awareness

Race for the Cure logo Over the years the Durham Bulls have worn several different uniforms, including outfits to honor the Negro Leagues, the Bulls’ 100th anniversary and the Carolina Hurricanes. This season, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and Time Warner Cable have the Bulls thinking pink.

On Saturday, April 22nd, the Bulls will wear pink jerseys as part of “Swing for the Cure,” an event to raise awareness about breast cancer. The jerseys will be available in a silent auction during the game with all proceeds benefiting the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate.

“This is certainly a unique way to bring attention to breast cancer,” Durham Bulls General Manager Mike Birling said, “All of us know someone who has been affected by some form of cancer and we are committed to help raise money and awareness.”

Fans may purchase a game ticket and pink t-shirt for only $14, with $3 going to the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate.  Breast cancer survivors will pay only $7 for the package.

“The Komen NC Triangle Affiliate is honored to be the focus of this wonderful event,” said Pam Blondin, Executive Director of the Komen NC Triangle Affiliate. “Of the money raised, 75 percent will support education, screening and treatment programs right here in our community, and the remaining 25 percent will support cutting-edge research on a national level. Just as important, this event is an opportunity for women and men to learn more about breast cancer and to celebrate survivorship with hundreds of people who have experienced this life-threatening disease. We are grateful to the Durham Bulls organization for their enthusiastic support.”

The Bulls take on their cross-state rivals, the Charlotte Knights at 5:00pm on Saturday, April 22nd. Ticket packages for this game are available now at the Durham Bulls Box Office or by phone at (919) 956-BULL.

About the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation…

The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation was established in 1982 by Nancy Brinker to honor the memory of her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died from breast cancer at the age of 36. Today, the Foundation is an international organization with a network of volunteers working through local affiliates and events like the Komen Race for the Cure® to eradicate breast cancer as a life-threatening disease. A global leader in the fight against breast cancer, the Foundation fulfills its mission through support of innovative breast cancer research grants, meritorious awards and community-based outreach programs.

The Komen NC Triangle Affiliate celebrates the 10th Anniversary of the Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure® on June 10, 2006. In those ten years, the Affiliate has raised over $4.8 million to support research on a national level and education, screening and treatment programs within their 13-county service area. More than 200 volunteers work year-round to administer grants and education programs, raise funds and work with community leaders throughout the Triangle.

Thanks to DBBC’s Matt DeMargel for this capcom story.

Comments are closed.