NCNN Wins Big at RTNDAC-NCAPB Awards Ceremony
NCNN staffers are overwhelmed with awards at the RTNDAC-NCAPB convention on April 8th.
CBC’s North Carolina News Network racked up the awards at the recent RTNDAC-NCAPB convention on Saturday, April 8, 2006.
And the impressive list begins with NCNN’s being named Outstanding News Operation for 2005 by the North Carolina Associated Press Broadcasters.
“I’m thrilled that NCNN has received this kind of recognition from our peers,” said NCNN News Director Ellen Reinhardt of the multiple awards. “I’m proud to work with such talented journalists and I’m so glad they are getting the recognition they deserve.”
NCNN’s Bruce Ferrell receives the award for Best Sportscaster.
NCNN brought home the following First Place awards from the Radio and Television News Directors Association of the Carolinas:
- Best Newscast: David Horn –September 14, 2005
- Special Report: Chris Fitzsimon, with Clayton Henkel, producer for News and Views-The Best of 2005
- Health and Medicine: Ellen Reinhardt for Beyond the Headlines “Childhood Obesity”
- Best Sportscaster: Bruce Ferrell
NCNN’s David Horn (left) proudly shows off his “Best Newscast Award” while retiree Steve Shumake beams with his Lifetime Achievement Award in hand.
NCNN won the following Silver Awards from RTNDAC :
- Documentary: Bruce Ferrell’s NC Report “North Carolina Responds to Hurricane Katrina”
- Series: Clayton Henkel for Beyond the Headlines “Saving the Family Farm”.
- Spot News: NCNN staff –Hurricane Ophelia
- Political General: Matt Willoughby & Cullen Browder – State House Speaker Controversy
- Sports Special: Eddie Thomas – NC High School Football Scoreboard .
NCNN won the following First Place awards from the North Carolina Associated Press Broadcasters:
- Outstanding News Operation for 2005
- Best Sportscast – Bruce Ferrell
- Spot News – Hurricane Ophelia
NCNN won the following Second Place awards from the NCAPB:
- Feature: Clayton Henkel for “Racing Ducks at the State Fair”
- Consumer Report: Clayton Henkel for “The Graying of North Carolina”
- Health Report: Ellen Reinhardt for Beyond the Headlines “Childhood Obesity”
The RTNDAC also presented a very special award to a NCNN retiree. Former NCNN Anchor/Reporter Steve Shumake was honored with the North Carolina Radio Journalist Lifetime Achievement Award. RTNDAC’s presentation to Shumake was the first time the award had ever been bestowed.
Former NCNN Anchor/Reporter Steve Shumake receives the RTNDAC’s first-ever Lifetime Achievement Award.
Shumake‘s award-winning body of work and his dedication to excellence in newscasting inspire the crowd.
“Steve’s reputation in the newsrooms across North Carolina is legendary and the board of RTNDAC wanted to show its appreciation for his dedication to the quality of his award-winning work throughout his career,” said NCNN News Director Ellen Reinhardt. “It is an honor that is well-deserved, and we are proud to have worked with Steve at the North Carolina News Network.”
These awards were presented at the RTNDAC-NCAPB convention in Charlotte. Several NCNN staffers were in attendance, as well as Shumake.
Thanks to NCNN’s David Horn & his wife, Windy, for these capcom photos.