Online Fan Voting Underway for the 2006 Triple-A All-Star Game
Bulls Infielder Kevin Witt is a home run leader and top contender for a slot on the IL All-Star squad.
With less than six weeks to go until the 19th annual Triple-A All-Star Game in Toledo, Ohio, online fan voting is now underway, marking the first time Minor League Baseball fans have had an opportunity to vote online for an All-Star event. The voting began Thursday, June 1st, and will run through Friday, June 23rd. The results of the fan balloting will account for 1/3 of the total vote along with ballots cast by members of the media (1/3) and each club’s field manager, coaches, and general manager (1/3). Fans interested in voting can do so by clicking here.
The Triple-A All-Star Game matches the best players from the International League against the top players from the Pacific Coast League. All fans who participate in the online balloting are able to vote for players from both the IL and PCL rosters. Up-to-date statistics are available at the click of a mouse to help fans make their selections. Categories include each of the infield positions (1 each), catcher (1), outfielders (3), a designated hitter (1), as well as starting pitchers (2) and relief pitchers (2). Write-in votes for players not listed on the ballot are also accepted.
The competition looks fierce across the board as the voting begins with many of the game’s best young players striving to earn a spot on Triple-A Baseball’s biggest stage. The top performers in both Leagues are among those fans can choose from, such as
- hitting leaders Chris Denorfia of Louisville (.338 – 1st, IL) and Howie Kendrick of Salt Lake (.385 – 1st, PCL),
- home run leaders Kevin Witt of Durham (13 – 1st, IL) and Scott Seabol of Albuquerque (16 – 1st, PCL), and
The top hurlers are also making their case. The ballot includes:
- League ERA leaders in Charlie Haeger of Charlotte (0.93 – 1st, IL) and Chris Baker of Round Rock (1.71 – 1st, PCL),
- saves leaders in Julio Manon of Ottawa (11 – 1st, IL) and Jason Karnuth of Sacramento (11 – 1st, PCL), and
- strikeout leaders in Tom Gorzelanny of Indianapolis (67 – 1st, IL), Francisco Cruceta of Tacoma and Chad Billingsley of Las Vegas (68 – T-1st, PCL).
Updates will be made available weekly for each of the voting categories for both Leagues. Once the balloting period is over, fans can check in at MiLB.com, ILBaseball.com, and PCLBaseball.com for updates and features leading up to the big event.
This year’s Triple-A All-Star Game will take place at Toledo’s Fifth Third Field on Wednesday, July 12 at 7:00pm EDT.
Thanks to DBBC’s Matt DeMargel for this capcom story & photo.