Bulls To Hold Final Jersey Auction for Charity at August 23rd Game
Last 2006 Auction to Support At Bat for Habitat Fundraiser
Throughout the season, the Durham Bulls stage commemorative jersey auctions as a fundraiser for local non-profits. Over $12,000 has been raised during the 2006 season for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, Light Up Durham, Leukemia/Lymphoma and the American Cancer Society.
The final jersey auction is set for August 23rd (Bulls vs. Tides, 7pm) as part of the At Bat for Habitat fundraiser. The goal of At Bat for Habitat is to raise $50,000 to sponsor students from Duke’s Fuqua School of Business in their efforts to build a home in partnership with the Durham Chapter of Habitat for Humanity.
In addition to the jersey auction, autographed memorabilia will be on sale in a silent auction on the ballpark concourse.
While the Bulls struggle toward a .500 finish, they have been champions of community service as the 2006 season winds down:
- Bulls players have made five trips this season to the North Carolina and Duke Children’s Hospitals to visit with the kids, take pictures and sign autographs.
- The team conducted a toy drive in July for Duke Children’s Hospital.
- Bulls’ sponsor Smith Breeden partnered with the team In August to collect books for local libraries.
- Bulls hosted the National Night Out Kickoff on August 1st for the City of Durham with 500 tickets given out by police to area youth.
- Bulls and Fox50 joined forces to raise $5,000 for Prevent Child Abuse NC. The Bulls and Fox50 donated tickets and baseball caps that were sold at Coastal Federal Credit Union branches with 100% of the proceeds going to PCANC. Fox50 VP/GM Tommy Schenck is past-chair of PCANC.
“Our partnership with Durham Bulls has helped us spread awareness about child abuse prevention and raise additional funds for our organization. We are so appreciative of the commitment they have shown to our mission.”
-Jennifer Tolle Whiteside
Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina
Thanks to CS’ George Habel for this capcom story & these capcom graphics.