Almost 1,000 ducks hit the water at the American Tobacco Campus for the 2nd annual race to benefit the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
Ducks and downtown Durham? Not a pair you’d usually expect, but the duo got along just fine on Saturday, Sept 29, 2007. All in the name of a good cause.
The 2nd Annual Great American Tobacco Duck Race took over the Bull River on the American Tobacco Campus during the morning hours. The benefactor? The Inter-Faith Food Shuttle will receive an estimated $10,000 from the sales and donations to the race.
Over 1,200 people lined the banks of the Bull river as 962 individual ducks raced in the People’s Race and 97 ducks battled it out in the Corporate Race.
And the winners are:
| Wanna See More?
View a slideshow of photos from the 2nd annual Great American Tobacco Duck Race.
The first duck crosses the finish line.
Ducks of all colors gather for the event.
- 1st Place – Riverwood Golf & Athletic Club, 11 minutes, 45 seconds
- 2nd Place – John Forslund, 11 minutes, 46 seconds
- 3rd Place – Stephen & Judy Zelnak, 11 minutes, 55 seconds
- Last Place – Symposium Café, 38 minutes, 2 seconds
- Olivia from Durham
Best Decorated Duck
- Devon from Apex –“Spider Man” duck
- 1st Place – The Overton Family, 9 minutes 26 seconds
- 2nd Place – John Goldfinch, 9 minutes 45 seconds
- 3rd Place – Kathryn Greenwell, 9 minutes 50 seconds
- Last Place – Patrick and Oliver Hines, 13 minutes, 7 seconds
|Big ducks and little ducks alike enjoy their annual outing at American Tobacco.|
Carolina Hurricanes play-by-play announcer John Forslund served as host and emcee for the event, and Luck E. Duck and Wool E. Bull wowed the kids.
Hula hoop dancing and air guitar contests took the mainstage as Frankie Faucet and the Drips entertained the crowd.
Thanks to ATC’s Paul Pope, Reyna Upchurch & Jon Upchurch for these capcom photos.