Capitol Broadcasting Launches 30th Year of High School Football Coverage
It all started with a young television sports guy with an infectious enthusiasm who thought high school sports deserved a place in local news. Thirty years later, legendary North Carolina broadcaster Tom Suiter suits up for the 2010 football season, expanding his vision for high school athletics from television to radio, web and mobile.
Capitol Broadcasting divisions WRAL-TV, WRAL.com hosted highschoolOT.com, 99.9FM The Fan/ESPN and 620AM The Buzz provide coverage across platforms.
- Every Wednesday at 6 p.m: Tom Suiter names the top teams in the region as his “Fabulous 15.”
- Every Thursday at 6 p.m: Tom awards an outstanding student-athlete The Extra Effort Award.
- Every Friday at 11:35 p.m: The 30th season of Football Friday with Tom Suiter consistently covers the most games in the region, showcasing big hits, key plays, scores and the game of the week.
On the radio
- 620AM The Buzz hosts HighschoolOT Gamenight, a live preview show each week from the site of a selected game. James Alverson and Nick Stevens offer coaches’ interviews and game insights starting Fridays at 6:25 p.m.
- Then, flip to the FM dial and listen to 99.9 FM The Fan ESPN Radio for play-by-play of the game of the week. Mike Maniscalco and Jerod Brooks call the game and James Alverson roams the sidelines for in-depth coverage of the action.
- After the games, listen to a live simulcast at 11:35 p.m. of WRAL’s Football Friday.
- Tune in Saturdays for the HighschoolOT show from 8-9 a.m. Chris Morris wraps up the scores and standings and looks at the week’s peak performers.
On the Web
- Log on to HighschoolOT.com every Friday for scores, stats, slideshows and stories from football games featuring more than 100 North Carolina high schools.
- Take the Taco Bell Football Friday Challenge to see if you can pick each week’s winners.
- Watch highlights from Football Friday on-demand any time.
- Wrap up the weekend with a live chat with HighschoolOT.com editor Nick Stevens.
On your phone
No matter where you are, you can access the latest high school football coverage from your cell phone — and send us photos, scores and more. iPhone and Android users can download our free apps, which make uploading photos and video a breeze.
To get a download link for the Android app, text hsot to 46988, or search the Android Market.
Can’t afford snazzy new phones? No problem. We have a mobile Web site specially formatted for all Web-enabled phones. Point your browser to m.highschoolot.com.
Prefer to text? Send OT to 46988 to join our SMS club and get the latest news and announcements as text messages. You can stop getting messages at any time by replying with STOP.
At the games
Submit your score updates to HighschoolOT via Twitter. Just include #hsotscores in your Tweet.
Take pictures with your mobile phone for our fan photo galleries. You can upload them to HighschoolOT.com, or tag them for HighschoolOT on Flickr.
Thanks to WRAL-TV’s Debbie Tullos for this capcom story.