WRAL Documentary Presents: A Social TV Event
A first-of-its-kind, interactive, WRAL Documentary examines the multi-billion dollar industry of big time college sports, the influence of money on the game, and whether reforms are needed to protect the integrity of our major academic institutions. The 2-hour social TV event will be broadcast on WRAL-TV and 99.9FM The Fan sports radio, and live-streamed on WRALSportsfan.com, where users will also have a robust second screen experience including interactive polling and live twitter conversations.
“College $ports: #missionormoney” is an interactive program designed for viewers to participate on twitter and facebook using the hashtag #missionormoney. The conversation has already started on those platforms.
Watch the online preview and bookmark this page for the live, second screen experience: www.wralsportsfan.com/missionormoney.
“Our documentaries have always been designed to tackle major issues and foster discussion and debate. Big money in college sports is a crucial topic that has impacts far beyond the playing field. It’s the perfect topic for this type of interactive program,” said Sam Matheny, Capitol Broadcasting Company’s Vice President of Policy and Innovation. “With this documentary, we are experimenting with social ratings to better understand the impact of social TV and second screen applications. We believe this to be an emerging currency for broadcasters.”
Social TV Event Schedule:
6:30pm EST Pre-game socialcast with Adam Gold & Joe Ovies broadcast on 99.9 The Fan and WRAL2
7:00pm EST Documentary on WRAL-TV
8:00pm EST Post-game socialcast with Adam Gold & Joe Ovies broadcast on 99.9 The Fan and WRAL2
Viewers can watch the entire 2-hour event live at www.wralsportsfan.com/missionormoney/ or locally on WRAL2, over the air on 5.2 or TimeWarnerCable digital channel 106.
Interviewees in the documentary include:
- Mike Krzyzewski, Duke Head Basketball Coach
- Debbie Yow, NCSU Athletic Director
- Bubba Cunningham, UNC Athletic Director
- Len Elmore, CBS/ESPN Basketball Analyst, member of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics and a former ACC and NBA star
- John Swofford, ACC Commissioner
- Phillip Dubois, Chancellor UNC Charlotte
- Tom Ross, President, UNC System
- Bucky Waters, Former Duke Coach and ESPN Analyst
- Steve Logan, Former ECU Head Football Coach and radio personality
- David Glenn, Host of the David Glenn Show
- TA McLendon, former NC State running back
- Charles Clotfelter, Duke professor and author of the book “Big Time Sports at American Universities”
- Orin Starn, Duke professor who is an expert on sports history
- Emmett Gill, an NCCU professor and member of the Athletic Reform Group
The conversation about the program has already started on twitter. Search #missionormoney and join the discussion while watching. Follow @WRALdoc for live tweeting, exclusive clips, and information on past and future documentaries.
WRAL Documentary is one of the only dedicated documentary units in local TV. Its mission is to provide in-depth coverage of topics and issues relevant to North Carolinians.
Thanks to WRAL-TV’s Debbie Tullos for this capcom story & for these graphics.