WRAL-FM and WRAL-TV BackPack Buddies Mediathon
On Wednesday, July 19, 2017, MIX 101.5 and WRAL-TV will join forces to raise money and food in a day-long community event on TV, radio, and social media. The food and funds benefit Inter-Faith Food Shuttle’s child hunger programs.
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle is feeding children at risk of hunger right now, and nurturing long-term solutions that provide access to fresh, healthy food.
Child Hunger in North Carolina
- 1 in 4 children in North Carolina is at risk of hunger
- 516,120 children are going hungry across our state
- More than 118,000 children in the Food Shuttle’s 7-county service area applied to receive free and reduced price lunch. That’s almost 54% of school-aged children in these public school systems.
- North Carolina has the 8th highest rate of food insecurity in the nation.
Donate online, find drop-off locations and more details: 2017 BackPack Buddies Mediathon
Drop off money, food
Bring your donation of non-perishable food or funds to one of our sponsor locations on July 19 between 6 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. and meet members of the WRAL-TV and MIX 101.5 teams.
Find us at the Food Lion in Lake Boone Shopping Center, 2420 Wycliff Road, in Raleigh, where our team will accept non-perishable food, cash or check donations.
Find us at Triangle Town Center in the parking lot between Dillard’s and Orvis just off Sumner Boulevard, where our team will accept non-perishable food, cash or check donations.
Drop off food donations at a location near you
Donate non-perishable food at Triangle Town Center or any Food Lion in Wake, Durham, Orange, Chatham, Johnston, Nash or Edgecombe counties. See below for a list of exact locations.
On Radio and TV
Listen for powerful stories throughout as MIX 101.5 broadcasts live from two locations. Watch WRAL-TV for stories and live reports during the day’s newscasts.
How Your Donation Helps
- Sponsor a Child’s BackPack: $35 every month means that a child knows you’ll always be there. By becoming a recurring BackPack Buddies sponsor, you ensure that a child’s BackPack is full every weekend with six nutritious meals and six snacks.
- A one-time $350 donation fills and fully funds one child’s BackPack for an entire school year.
We fight childhood hunger on every level! Your donation also helps fund hot summer meals, our food truck, nutrition education and school pantries. See how you can make a difference:
- $100 funds 30 hot meals from the Food Shuttle Kitchen delivered to our child summer feeding partner agencies.
- $500 funds a day of free summer meals from our food truck. The “Mobile Tastiness Machine”drives into different low-income neighborhood sites each day to serve free healthy summer meals to kids.
- $1,500 funds a cooking class for six weeks and a lifetime of healthy eating life skills for 15 students.
- $3,000 funds a school pantry for a whole year. The Food Shuttle operates 17 school pantries in 3 counties, serving over 2,000 people every month.