The Sports Shop Radio show w/ Reese (Erroll Reese) & K-Mac (Kevin McClendon) on Buzz Sports Radio, located in Raleigh, NC, hosted the 2nd Annual “Salute To Champions” honoree Luncheon on Wednesday, February 27th at 12 noon at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. During this event Reese and K-Mac recognized African American individuals who have demonstrated significant achievements in their community, respective fields and/or paved the way for others.
The individuals recognized were from the areas of Education/Business, Politics/Community and Sports/Entertainment. A total of 22 individuals featured and honored included Durham Police Chief, Cerelyn “CJ” Davis, Wake County Commissioner Chair Jessica Holmes, Attorney James “Butch” Williams and North Carolina Secretary Of Veteran and Military Affairs Larry Hall.
“This was so exciting to highlight great people that are doing great work in the community”, said Erroll Reese, Co-Host of the Sports Shop.
“Hosting this event is always exciting, the 2nd year was even more exhilarating, having the opportunity to recognize individuals that are doing so many amazing things is truly an honor,” said Kevin McClendon, Co-Host of the Sports Shop.
This year we had the pleasure of having one of last year’s recipients Senator Howard Lee provide an inspiring and moving keynote.
In addition to honoring these great people, The Sports Shop identifies a non-profit to highlight and support.
For the 2019 Salute to Champions Reese and K-Mac selected, The Be-The-Match Registry organization which is operated by the National Marrow Donor Program®(NMDP), a nonprofit organization that’s dedicated to creating an opportunity for all patients to receive the marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant they need, when they need it was featured to highlight the need to increase the minority representation of the Bone Marrow Registry Database. Erika Reese, a recipient of a bone marrow transplant and Bianka Reese, a related donor addressed the luncheon on the needs and the process.
Support for this event was underwritten by Advance Auto, Capitol Broadcasting Company and Be-The-Match.
Thanks to Erroll Reese for this capcom story & to Marlon Headen for these capcom photos.
The full list of honorees includes:
- Chief Patrice Andrews, Morrisville Police Chief
- Creighton Blackwell. VP Coastal Credit Union
- Joe Biggs, Asst Principal Neal Middle
- Courtney Crowder, Fmr Chair of NC Lottery Board
- Rene Daughtry, Technology Community Advocate
- Chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis, Durham Police Chief
- Dr. Eric Davis, Dentist
- Dr. Catherine Edmonds, Superintendent Bertie County Schools
- Dr. Kimberly Ferrell, Principal Burton Elementary
- Minnie Forte-Brown, Durham Board Of Education
- Anita Brown-Graham, UNC-Chapel Hill Professor
- Secretary Larry Hall, Sec NC Veterans & Military Affairs
- Gregory Harris, G Alan Inc
- Representative Zack Hawkins, NC House
- Rickey M Henry, Owner /Barber
- Jessica Holmes, Chair Wake County Commissioner
- Dee McDougal, Pacific Western Bank & Black Wall Street
- Colonel Glenn McNeill Jr, NC State Trooper Commander
- Kristy Moore, VP NC Teachers Association
- Levelle Moton, NCCU Head Basketball Coach
- Ed Stewart, UDI
- Carl Webb, Business Owner/Developer
- Dwayne West, Garner Road Basketball Club
- James “Butch” Williams, Attorney/Agent