Barbara Goodmon Receives “Star Award”
Barbara Goodmon, wife of Jim Goodmon, CEO Capitol Broadcasting Company, accepted the prestigious “Star Award” for continued service in the community and to the arts. The Fifth Annual Star Award Banquet was held at the Marriott Hotel-Carbtree Valley, Raleigh, NC., May 4, 2000.
The award recipients are recognized for one or more of the following accomplishments:
- Developed and implemented creative initiatives supporting women and their families in the workplace
- Accomplished professional “firsts” within their business and/or community
- Exhibited philanthropic leadership within the community
- Served as a strong advocate for women and their families
- Encouraged employees involvement in community service
The purpose of the “Star Award” is to support the programs of the Women’s Center of Wake County. The mission of the Women’s Center is to facilitate and nurture the personal, professional and economic development of women in leading self-directed lives.
The “Star Award” also recognizes a male community/business leader who has promoted the professional development of women. The male recipient of the “Star Award 2000” was Smedes York, Realtor/Developer, Past Mayor or Raleigh, and Councilman of Raleigh. York currently serves as Chairman-NC State University Board of Trustees, Board of Directors- Triangle United Way, Co-Chairman of Regional Transportation Alliance, and Board of Directors-Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina.