|Former Pelicans In First Place|
Paul Bush earned his second win of the Arizona Fall League on Saturday afternoon.
On Saturday afternoon, October 22, 2005, former Pelicans hurler Paul Bush earned his second win of the Arizona Fall League season with three strong innings of relief against the Mesa Solar Sox, as the Phoenix Desert Dogs remained in first place of the National Division. The Desert Dogs enter this week with an 11-5 mark, the best record in the Arizona Fall League, leaving them 1.5 games atop the National Division in front of the 9-6 Peoria Javelinas.
Bush gave up just one run on one hit through three innings to earn the victory. The win puts him in a tie for the team lead in “W’s” with Arizona Diamondbacks prospect, Bill Murphy. This fall, Bush has logged a total of 13 innings with the Desert Dogs and has a 5.54 ERA.
How are the other former Birds faring in the Desert?
- At the plate, Josh Burrus is still red hot, hitting .313 with a home run, four RBI, and two stolen bases.
- The 2005 Pelicans MVP, Jarrod Saltalamacchia leaped out to a great start offensively this fall, but has since fizzled. The switch-hitting catcher is currently hitting .243 with no homers and three RBI in 10 games. On the defensive side, Salty has drawn rave reviews for his defensive play.
- Former Pelicans second baseman Jonathan Schuerholz is hitting .269 with three RBI and a stolen base. Two of Jonathan’s seven hits have gone for extra bases and he has drawn five walks through his first seven games for the Desert Dogs.
- On the mound, Glenn Tucker has done a fantastic job out of the bullpen. The right-hander with the submarine delivery has a 2.08 ERA in 8.2 innings of work, having allowed just two earned runs.
- Another former Myrtle Beach reliever, Ryan Basner, is doing a solid job in relief. Basner is 1-0 with a 4.50 ERA in six appearances. The hard throwing ex-Pelican has fanned seven hitters in eight innings.
Throughout the fall the Pelicans website will be updated with reports from the Arizona Fall League. Stay up to date with all of your favorite former Birds during the “off-season.” Fans are also welcome to send their feedback of the Pelicans website by clicking on the “Contact” link on the left side of the homepage. Let us know what you, the fans, want to see more of on the website!
The Myrtle Beach Pelicans players, coaches, and staff would like to thank all of the fans for making the 2005 season another great one. The Pelicans next home game will be Thursday, April 6th at 7:02 pm against the Wilmington Blue Rocks. Ticket information will be made available in the near future.
Thanks to MBBC’s Ryan Ibbotson for this capcom story & to Steve Terry for this capcom photo.