In response to Boston Herald Sports Columnist Steve Buckley’s story At Heart of Duke-ness, in which he referred to Durham, N.C. as “just another minor league tank town,” the Durham Bulls announced they are extending an invitation to Buckley to get a full Minor League Baseball experience at the Bulls-Toledo Mud Hens game on Saturday, June 30th.
“I think Mr. Buckley would have a different opinion about our town and our team if he came to a game,” Durham Bulls General Manager Mike Birling said, “It isn’t Major League Baseball, but there are so many other things you can do at a Minor League game. In fact, we have put together quite a package for Mr. Buckley”
As part of the “Complete Durham Bulls Experience,” Buckley is invited to:
- Work an inning in the manual scoreboard in the
Blue Monster (yes, just like the Green Monster in his beloved Fenway Park)
- Drag the infield with the grounds crew.
- Sumo Wrestle against a local sports columnist.
- Work an inning as the Public Address Announcer
- Race team mascot Wool E. Bull around the bases.
- Serve as a hot dog vendor.
- Play on the giant inflatable games.
- Ride in Wool E. Bull’s race car around the field.
- And lead the crowd in the ballpark favorite, “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”
After the game, the Bulls will present Mr. Buckley with an autographed tank so he will have a nice memento of his visit.
Thanks to DBBC’s Matt DeMargel for this capcom story & photo.