Premieres Thursday, August 29 at 7pm
“It’s a catastrophe. It’s heartbreaking. Every single opioid overdose death is preventable.”
Kurtis Taylor, Executive Director
Alcohol and Drug Council of NC
Overdoses from heroin, fentanyl and other opioids are the leading cause of accidental death in North Carolina. In 2017, the WRAL original documentary Searching For A Fix shared personal stories of families who lost loved ones to overdose and examined the challenges of getting people addicted to opioids into treatment.
The new WRAL Documentary Finding A Fix looks at how North Carolina’s efforts to combat opioid addiction have changed and expanded in the years since. It also spotlights first responders, activists and key policy makers on the front lines of the epidemic.
Finding A Fix is presented in partnership with More Powerful NC–a campaign created by the North Carolina Department of Justice and the Department of Health and Human Services to raise awareness of the scope and danger of the opioid crisis.
Preview & Bonus Materials
- WRAL Documentary Producer Clay Johnson gives insights into the program in his producer blog “Behind the Doc.”
- Listen to a podcast about how Jim and Sandy Gray told their grandchildren about their father’s overdose death. Search WRAL Doc on your favorite podcast app. Available Thursday, August 29.
- Bonus video content: Spotlight on the HOPE and LEAD programs–innovative ways law enforcement agencies are getting people into treatment instead of jail.
- Watch the original documentary, Searching For A Fix.
When and How to Watch:
- Television premiere on WRAL-TV/Raleigh and WILM-TV/Wilmington: Thursday, August 29 at 7pm
- Rebroadcast on FOX 50 (WRAZ): Sunday, September 1 at 5pm
- Starting Thursday, August 29 at 7pm, watch at WRALdocumentary.com.
- Watch on the WRAL Documentary YouTube channel.
Watch on the WRAL streaming app for Roku, Amazon Fire TV, AppleTV, and Android TV. Search WRAL on your streaming device to add the channel.
Follow Finding A Fix on social media using #NCopioidcrisis.
WRAL Documentary is one of the only dedicated documentary units in local TV. Its mission is to provide in-depth coverage of topics and issues relevant to North Carolinians.
Thanks to WRAL-TV for this capcom story & graphic.